<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/4174362502486325699?origin\x3dhttp://junsui-na-aku.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Monday, April 14, 2008

Constructive criticism, you flame I flame back hotter. Other than that, tell me what to improve on, what you like, what you don't like, or what you just think of the story. I feedback is well-liked here.

The word count is like, 1088 or something like that. Shouldn't take too long to read. In other words, you have no excuse!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snake that swallowed


It just sat there. It wasn’t doing anything. Nothing. Nothing at all. All the others have gone, but this one was still there, not moving. Letting things wash over it. Because it was sitting there.

I was being bumped, pushed, shoved and nudged. Damn people today. Don’t even bother to say a quick “sorry” over their shoulder or give a thought to others. Well, I’m not in a hurry. I still got some time before the bus comes. The bus stop came into view on the other side of the road as I was walking slowly, in contrast to the bustle of other people around me. Hell, what got up their butt and died? I just got up to the traffic light waiting for the red man to turn green like how those cars that were packed like sardines were waiting for the green light, most of them giving off that disgusting smog that I could taste it in the air. Idly leaning against the pole and trying to ignore the smell, I closed my eyes. Not a very smart move with sweaty human bodies everywhere, you never know if one of them could have a very quick hand. Thinking that, my eyes flew open. Good thing too, that’s my bus screeching to a halt at the stop. As the brakes gave off a slight hiss, I got myself ready to run across the road for a mad dash. But the cars were faster the first few shot straight ahead, accelerating so fast I would have gotten whiplash if I tried to follow them with my eyes. But the cars behind were going just as fast, so that it looked like one fluid chain. But it went as fast as it came. I ran as fast as I could over the road, heading over to the bus. I can’t afford to miss this one… but there’s the one after this one…No, I got to get this one. The boss won’t tolerate it. Not after last time. I’m so close to it. I can hear it. It darted forward, closing its doors as it did so. Within seconds the nose dove into the corner, the rest of it following, in one fluid movement. I stood still, people were jostling me. It was only when some insanely tall guy nearly knocked me out that I got back into my senses. Alright then, be that way. I’ll go get a taxi to take me there. Looking down the street, I grinned. What luck, there’s a taxi heading right here. Bull yeah. I hailed the taxi, stepping down from the curb, waiting expectantly for the taxi to stop. It sped straight by me following the rest of the cars. I sat down. Dude, what the hell? What have I done to deserve this type of treatment? I haven’t done anything. People went around me, cars ignored me. It was like I never existed.

“You’re fired!”
Those words echoed around my mind. God, I was only five minutes late this time. No need to get your panties in a twist. Doesn’t matter, it’ll be easy to find a new job within this crazily big city. I mean, how hard can it be? There’s got to be one vacant job I can get… right?

“I’m sorry sir, but you do not meet the qualifications for this job. Have a nice day.”
News flash, just because I didn’t go to university doesn’t mean I can’t get the job done.
“What? You want a job? Get real man, and get out of here.”
Discrimination much?
“Oh, I’m sorry dude. But that vacant spot just got taken, I was just going to put the sign down.”
Urgh, I hate my life.

Okay, so it’s not as easy. I’ve been looking for seven hours. SEVEN! And what do I get? Nothing. Nil. Nada. And now my feet are all sore and hot from all that walking that I swear that they will give off a hiss if I dunk them in water and steam will rise from it. Ew, gross…

I get home, yawning, tired, aching, and plopped down onto the couch, not wanting to do anything. Maybe a nice hot, steaming cup of tea will help me relax. The water made a slight whisper as it went inside the kettle. Turning the tap off and flicking the switch on the kettle, I got my favourite cup and tea out before reaching for the phone. Dialling a number I know very well, I waited for the person to pick up.
“Hello?”
I smiled.
“Hey, it’s me.”
A sigh on the other side of the phone.
“Oh, hey.”
Steam rose from the kettle.
“What have you been up to?” I asked as I poured the water into the cup.
“Nothing much. Just work.”
A pause.
“Hey, can I call you back later? I’m kinda busy at the moment.”
Silence. Then a beep. Then another beep. And another.
Putting the phone back on its cradle, I looked down at the cup of tea. A wisp of steam unfurled itself from the surface and rose into the air, until it disappeared. But more steam was coming out, replacing the ones that disappear into the air. It was one continuous line. Always unfurling, like my troubles. Always disappearing, like my friends and opportunities. Here I am, stuck behind all of my friends, with no job to pay for anything. And there are my friends, with happy lives and successful careers they are pursuing. No one is waiting for me to catch up. Not when they can still go ahead. Never when they can still go further ahead.

The body moved smoothly, approaching its prize, its eyes never leaving it once. The egg sat unblemished. Not a single crack on the delicate shell. It tasted the air, making a slight hiss as it did. It moved closer to its reward, its body faintly rustling the undergrowth. It was there now, the long continuous body coiled up and its head lowered, still staring straight at it. It opened its mouth, and suddenly dove its head towards the egg with the rest of its body following in one fluid movement as it unfurled; the snake’s mouth engulfed the reward and swallowed the egg. The world does not wait for that egg that waited.



DarkAngel81`* 6:29 PM
_________________________________________________________________________





DarkAngel81


About Me

Anime freak, X-Japan lover, FF.net obessed, Jrock VK fangirl, green tea ice-cream's sweet heart, procrastination best/worse friend/enemy.
I rock and you know it.


Likes

anime
manga
food
sleep
bubble tea
coffee
ice-cream
pasta




Friends


| Alyson | Lys | Gel | Jess | JB | Sheryl | Shez | Pure Evil |


Credits


Designed by islenska | Blogger | Blogskins


Talk to Me





History


April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
January 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009